Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Apple's Big Announcment! (No, not the iPad) Aperture 3!

09aperture3_hero.jpg

Apple released Aperture 3, it's photo management and RAW workflow software. And I gotta say, it looks sweet! Apart from the normal stuff (speed improvements, blah, blah), it has two very interesting features: Adjustment Presets and Nondestructive Brushes.

Sound familiar? If you're a Lightroom user, it should. Apple has just released two features which was unique to Lightroom (unique no more). And if you check out all the Image Adjustments features, you will see Apple means business.

Another super feature: Video and Audio. Now you can edit stills AND HD VIDEO!!! What can you expect from the makers of Final Cut Pro? Exactly! What a perfect excuse to get a DSLR with video! (If only the wife could understand...)

Now, I'll be upfront, I'm a Lightroom evangelist, I just love it and praise it every time I have the chance. But I have to admit that with this latest release, Apple has me wanting to download the trial and give it a try. Will I change from being a Lightroom user to a Aperture user? Probably not, Lightroom has so many advantages for me over other RAW Workflow Software Packages (particularly it's tight integration with Photoshop), but i'll be the first to admit that Aperture has a lot to offer and some key advantages, mainly better organizing features and a better price tag.

Now, the real question is: what will be Adobe's answer to Aperture 3? Lightroom 3 is out as a beta, but if we learn something from the Lightroom 2 beta was that new features can come in the final release. What will it be? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment